Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Loretta Claiborne Story

What an inspiring story about a never-give-up fighting of a woman with all lacks and potentials she had. Loretta Claiborne was a mentally retarded woman who garnered numerous awards throughout her lifetime. When she was a child, she was nobody, even she couldn’t talk. She used to be mocked at school because of her oddity. But her life had changed since a dedicated social worker inspired her to remarkable heights while overcoming all odds. Now she’s a champhionship athlete and dedicated advocate for the physically challenged that Los Angeles Daily News applauds as “a smart and moving tribute”.

This movie was based on true story, released on 16 Jan 2000, casted by Kimberly Elise (as Loretta Claiborne), Tina Lifford (as Rita Claiborne), Damon Gupton (as Sam Claiborne), and Camryn Manheim (as Janet McFarland), directed by Lee Grant, and written by Grace McKeany.

This is a touching and inspiring story for me. And I noticed some lessons as below. Please kindly read, enjoy, and absorb!


The strength to overcome. The resolve to triumph.
The overcoming odds sent by God not to defeat us, but to stimulate our brain to head them up with everything we have (strength). We’ll always be stronger than all odds if only we wake the hidden giant inside us up. If we realize it, we can win the fight.

The friendship that guided the way.
On the way to achievement, sometimes we feel lack of spirit. But we’ve got to remember that there always be family and friends beside us to support.

I like the way Rita said, “God gives me much problems. He must always be thinking of me.” Yeah, that’s true. It reminds us that as long as we live, there always be trials to overcome. God gives us trials not because He dislikes us, and not to weaken us, but to make us tough and wise.

Another great quote was from the couch when he talked about another mentally retarded girl whom kept on running though she had left far behind, “Let me win. If I cannot win, let me be brave to try. Not to be the fastest, but to show the best of me. So, nobody can steal my success cause it’s in me. In a race, we run faster to win over other participants. In a real life, we run faster to win over own limit and fear. No matter what people say about success, we’re the one who define our own success. We do something not to be the best, but to show our best in it. We do something not to show people that we can, but to show own self that we can.

“I am somebody. I am somebody!” (Loretta Claiborne)
It’s okay if I’m nobody now coz I’m sure my hard works would lead me to the upper side where I’ll be somebody. Never underestimate anyone.

“I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing. Running on my own legs.” (Loretta Claiborne)

“I seldom have a friend. But once I find it, I’ll keep it.” (Loretta Claiborne)
True friends will always be there beside you through goods and bads. Friends never leave you just because you have nothing anymore.

“I won’t yell for her like others do coz I’ve been supporting her since people didn’t know her.”  (Rita Claiborne)
Everyone has own way in expressing their heart. Some show it clearly, but some other just look from the distance. But one thing you have to remember is that family is the ones who always love you with everything you are. And, mom is the one who loves you all the way, with no return. Never doubt that.


“If we want to get something, we have to learn how to give it.”
When we wanna get something, sometimes what we only wanna know is that we have it at hand. We just wanna hear “yes” and rejected “no”. That’s why we are mad when we don’t get it. We should learn how to give something, so that we understand why someone deserve and not deserve for something. So, we’ll understand

 “Run away from troubles, run toward happiness.” (Rita Claiborne)
In life, there are many things we can do. But do only things you have to do; things which lead you toward your dream. And leave things you not have to do; things which waste your time and hold you from achieving your dream.

“Rocks and woods can hurt, but mockeries cannot.” (Rita Claiborne)
It’s not fair if people shout “boo” on someone who’s learning to be somebody. For some people, mockeries are funny things to do. But those people don’t realize that what they do holding other’s mental development. It’s a bad thing. So, if people shout “boo” on you, ignore it. They just don’t realize that you may be much better than them. Don’t hear it, coz it’s just holding you from achieving your dream.


Created on 27 January 2010
Revised on 23 July 2011

0 comments: