Friday, June 10, 2011

Honestants and Swindlecants #5 (Solution)

Have you got your answer? Let’s compare with mine.
this pic was taken from http://www.istockphoto.com.

The man said, “If my wife is an Honestant, then I am Swindlecant." Seems like it’s a contrary couple.
If the man’s statement is true, he must be an Honestant.
If the statement is true, we can negate the statement, so it will be “If my wife is a Swindlecant, then I’m an Honestant.”
If the man’s statement is true, he must be an Honestant, and his wife must be a Swindlecant.
it’s matching!

If the statement is false, the man must be a Swindlecant.
If the man is a Swindlecant, then his wife is an Honestant. It’s matching with the statement (the statement is true!).
So, the man must be not a Swindlecant.

Finally, we see that the man is an Honestant, while his wife is a Swindlecant. Is a contrary couple.


P.S.: This brain teaser I copied from Brain Teasers (http://brainden.com/logic-problems.htm). Just on click on that link, then you’ll get more brain teasers to tease your brain or even just to ease your boring day. When you get stuck, you can visit brain teasers forum to get extra “clues” from them whom have tried to solve it (but for me, it’s better to do it by myself as I did in solving this quiz).

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Note: Actually I’m thinking whether my analysis about the “false-statement possibility” is correct or not. If the man is a Swindlecant, doesn’t mean his wife is an Honestant because his contrary “if-then” statement is false. They may have same character. His wife maybe a Swindlecant, too. Maybe they’re a couple of Swindlecants. But I’m sure about this possibility.